American Legion History
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, mutual-help, war-time veterans organization. A community-service organization which now numbers nearly 3 million members -- men and women -- in nearly 15,000 American Legion Posts worldwide. These Posts are organized into 55 Departments -- one each for the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico, and the Philippines.
The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, Indiana, with additional offices in Washington, DC. In addition to thousands of volunteers serving in leadership and program implementation capacities in local communities to the Legion's standing national commissions and committees, the national organization has a regular full-time staff of about 300 employees.
Pennsylvania is the largest Department in the American Legion, with almost 250,000 members strong. The American Legion is an organization that is vested in America, veterans and their families, community, as well as our Nation’s youth.
Post 667 History
Post 667 was chartered in 1935 and is part of Pennsylvania’s 8th district.
Military Dates to Remember
- February 3, 2017 - Four Chaplains Day
A day set aside to honor the four U.S. Army chaplains who gave their lives to save others when the troop ship USAT Dorchester sank during World War II.
- February 19, 2017 - Coast Guard Reserve Birthday
- March is the Month of the Military Caregiver
During the Month of the Military Caregiver, Americans recognize and honor military caregivers’ sacrifices and successes.
- March 3, 2017 - Navy Reserve Birthday
- March 5, 2017 - Seabee Birthday
- March 13, 2017 - K 9 Veterans Day
A national effort to make March 13 K9 Veterans Day. March 13, 1942 is the official birthday of the United States K9 Corps, and so it seems only right to annually honor their service on that date. They served to save, and they deserve to be remembered.
- March 29, 2017 - Vietnam Veterans Day
A day set aside to show honor and respect to our Vietnam Veterans.
April is the month of the Military Child
An opportunity to recognize military children and youth for their heroism, character, courage, sacrifices and continued resilience.
- April 5, 2017 - Gold Star Wives Day
A day set aside to recognize the sacrifices of Gold Star wives.
- April 14, 2017 - Air Force Reserve Birthday
- April 23, 2017 - Army Reserve Birthday
- April 30, 2017 - National Military Brats Day
PROPOSED: That Congress set aside a day each year as National Military Brats Day so Americans can say thank you to these patriots, young and grown, for their dedication and sacrifice in the service of their country.
May is National Military Appreciation Month
A month which recognize and show appreciation to the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
- May 1, 2017 - Loyalty Day
A day set aside for American citizens to reaffirm their loyalty to the United States and to recognize the heritage of American freedom.
- May 1, 2017 - Silver Star Service Banner Day
A day set aside to honor our wounded, ill and dying military personnel by participating in flying a Silver Star Banner.
- May 8, 2017 - VE (Victory in Europe) Day
A day which marks the anniversary of the Allies' victory in Europe during World War II on May 8, 1945.
- May 12, 2017 - Military Spouse Appreciation Day
A day set aside to acknowledge the contributions and sacrifices of the spouses of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- May 13, 2017 - Children of Fallen Patriots Day
A day to honor the families our Fallen Heroes have left behind – especially their children. It’s a reminder to the community that we have an obligation to support the families of our Fallen Patriots.
- May 20, 2017 - Armed Forces Day
A day set aside to pay tribute to men and women who serve in the United States’ Armed Forces.
- May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day
A day set aside to commemorate all who have died in military service for the UnitedStates. Typically recognized by parades, visiting memorials and cemeteries.
- June 6, 2017 - Anniversary of the World War II Allied invasion in Normandy, France, know as D-Day (1944)
- June 14, 2017 - Flag Day
A day to commemorate the adoption of the United States flag.
- June 14, 2017 - Army Birthday
- June 23, 2017 - Coast Guard Auxiliary Birthday
- June 25, 2017 - Anniversary of the start of the Korean War (1950)
- June 27, 2017 - National PTSD Awareness Day
A day set aside to raise public awareness about issues related to PTSD.
- July 4, 2017 - Independence Day
- July 27, 2017 - Korean War Veterans Armistice Day (1953)
- July 29, 2017 - Anniversary of the Army Chaplain Corps
- August 4, 2017 - Coast Guard Birthday
- August 7, 2017 - Purple Heart Day
National Purple Heart Day honors the men and women who have been wounded or killed in military service.
- August 8, 2017 - VJ (Victory over Japan) Day (1945)
- August 29, 2017 - Marine Forces Reserve Birthday
- September 11, 2017 - Patriot Day
Patriot Day is an annual observance on September 11 to remember those who were injured or died during the terrorist attacks in the United States on September 11, 2001.
- September 15, 2017 - POW/MIA Recognition Day
A time set aside to remember those who were prisoners of war (POW) and those who are missing in action (MIA), as well as their families.
- September 18, 2017 - Air Force Birthday
- September 24, 2017 - Gold Star Mother's and Family's Day
A day set aside to honor the families of our nation's fallen service members.
- October 13, 2017 - Navy Birthday
- October 26, 2017 - National Day of the Deployed
A day set aside to honor all of the brave men and woman who have been deployed and are sacrificing, or have sacrificed, their lives to fight for our country and acknowledges their families that they are separated from.
November is Military Family Month
A month to honor and celebrate the contributions and sacrifices of the families of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- November 10, 2017 - Marine Corps Birthday
- November 11, 2017 - Veterans Day
The anniversary date of the signing of the armistice which ended the World War I. Also a day set aside to thank military veterans for their service.
- December 1, 2017 - Civil Air Patrol (USAF Auxiliary) Birthday
- December 7, 2017 - Pearl Harbor Day
Called "A day which will live in infamy" by Franklin D. Roosevelt - On December 7, 1941, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- December 13, 2017 - National Guard Birthday
- December 16, 2017 - National Wreaths Across America
An annual laying of wreaths at veterans cemeteries across the nation.
- December 28, 2017 - Anniversary of the Army Chaplain Assistant